Thursday, November 20, 2008

What is the "right level" for equities?

What can the academics say besides - we don't know what the price should be. The MARKET decides that.

Short Answer: S&P around 600 won't be surprising and around 700 is fair value.

I thought about our most sacred academic cow of equity market ratios and wondered what it would tell me. The D/P ratio. Here D means the Dividend Yield and P is naturally the price. So this ratio measures the "yield" if you will of investing in equities. Obviously if prices increases the yield falls and vice versa.

Where is this D/P ratio these days? Has it come back to the historical average of around 4% or is it still low? If we want to come up with a target for the S&P I think we could do worse than saying this is the level of S&P that gets us a D/P ratio of 4%. That number has a pretty long history.... Roughly speaking it seems the level on stocks should be from 700 to 800 ( for a ratio of 4.5% to 4%). Naturally, in a scenario like the current one, the pendulum swings too far to the other side to give it a reason to rally! so say D/P swings to 5% - 6% not unnatural after such a risk inducing event. then we see the levels of around 580.
So my fellow student Manuel's idea of going in at 600 is not bad.

My highly complex quantitative rule of what price to offer for assets in distressed times: After many regressions and highly complicated maths, I have come up with my wonderfully quantitative rule of what price to offer when there is SERIOUS trouble around. The rule is 1/3rd. Just offer 1/3rd of what the value was. You will offer more for finance firms :) but overall for the S&P you would be doing fine.... Remember you are making a bid and letting the market COME to you. No rush to spend your valuable money in times like this.... I think you should use the strategy on cars, houses as well... If you are in a developing country then it the rule is 1/4th :)

D/P chart
http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/directors_charts/ipage20.pdf

Interesting how commentators that I read are remarking on how the yield on equities has exceded the yields on the 10 year bonds after many years. However, no one is thinking of what the historically HIGH D/P ratios are... We are thinking of average D/P and then will act surprised when it is broken. No one cried wolf when the D/P ratio was 2.5 earlier...

My idea: It would be better to invest in India/China than the U.S. once this crisis is over
I thought about investments a little bit and it occurred to me that when the market starts recovering in the next 3-6 months or so ( if it does!) then I should invest in India or China. The exchange rate is quite favorable ( drop of 25-30% vs. the dollar from 39 to 51, and if the market recovers India's stock market that has gone down about 62% to 63% of what it was- from 21000 to 8000! these emerging markets have HIGHER betas and will recover more quickly. I believe their economic story anyway...Maybe I can figure out their D/P ratios...

If I could buy BRIC notes in the next 6 months I would. No need to rush in. Decide the price you want to OWN the thing at and leave a bid and let the market come to you.

My own trading:
I sold out of my S&P puts way too early- made a profit still but could have made more.... This is what happens when you don't have a crystal ball AND not enough contracts to average :).

No comments: